Frenkie De Jong is a gem which recently moved to Barcelona, Here are some interesting facts about the new signing.
About the Player
De Jong is a right-footed midfielder. He has fantastic balance and his dribbling ability could surprise everyone. He has good acceleration, control, tactical presence of mind and sharp decision-making. He can be decisive any moment of the game.
- 10 May 2015: Senior debut for Willem II, coming on as a substitute against Den Haag two days before his 18th birthday.
- 22 August 2015: Joins Ajax aged 18 but is loaned back to Willem II for the first half of the following season.
- 25 January 2016: First professional goal in Jong Ajax’s 2-0 defeat of NAC Breda.
- 21 September 2016: Ajax debut in a cup match against former club Willem II.
- 6 September 2018: Senior Netherlands debut as a half-time substitute in 2-1 friendly win against Peru.
- 23 January 2019: Signs for Barcelona on a five-year deal. [Source: UEFA]
Future at Club
De Jong has to maintain his place in starting X1 as there is so much competition right now. He plays at the position of Sergio Busquets which can’t be easily replaced. But in two or three years he will be permanently in starting 11 as the player of his caliber nowhere to be found.
However, there are many midfielders at Barcelona, but a possible departure of Rakitic could help him to seal his place. In his clause, there’s been a condition that player will be in starting lineup. So now it’s getting more interesting as he will occupy one of the places in the squad and show his talent on a daily basis.