A 12-year-old boy from Michigan suffered second-degree burns to his face, chest, and stomach when his fellow sprayed him with nail polish remover and lit it on fire as part of a viral internet challenge.
Jason’s mother Tabitha Cleary, recounted the terrifying moment when she saw her son injured after his body burst into flames.
‘So we came running out. That’s when we saw his friend Bryce riding him on the bike with no shirt on,’ she told sources. ‘I start to freak out. “Take him to the hospital, take him to the hospital.” I’m crying. He’s crying.‘
Her son Jason was hospitalized for 4 days after the September 28 incident at a friend’s house.
Jason Cleary is at home after 4 days in the hospital. Jason Cleary was the victim of a dangerous online challenge.
‘I just want everybody to know that these challenges, or whatever they’re watching on YouTube, is not worth risking your life,’ Tabitha stated to sources. ‘My son got burned second-degree — and it could have been way worse.‘
Jason revealed they tried the challenge twice.
‘The first time it was like a little tiny fire, then they swatted it out,‘ Jason Cleary said.
On the second try, he said, the fire flared up.
The fire challenge normally includes people being soaked in rubbing alcohol and then letting on fire for a few moments. The alcohol burns off immediately, and the fire is assumed to be extinguished in a bathtub.
Lately, a 12-year-old Detroit girl endured burns to half of her body while endeavoring this stunt last year, while a 12-year-old boy in South Carolina sustained blisters to 40 percent to his body endeavoring the challenge home last year.
The University of Iowa’s Injury Prevention Research Center said the serious and potentially fatal stunt began floating around 2010.
Other hazardous challenges, including ones that required hot water, appeared on the commotion in the years that followed, Sources report.