Two British sisters discovered dead in a bathroom from a suspected gas leak in Pakistan.
24-year-old Maria and 17-year-old Nadia Rehman found in the state of collapsed on the floor at a house in Murpur, in the western province of Gujrat.
Gassed To Death
Medics brought them to the hospital in severe condition, but the siblings from Preston, Lancs., could not be rescued on January 12.
Maria and Nadia were traveling with parents Abdul and Zarina Rehman for the anniversary of their grandfather’s funeral. The couple is yet in Pakistan as local officials probe the deaths.
Local media alleges the parents are not considering legal action as they have “believed the deaths as an accident.”
Some have alleged Maria and Nadia executed as an honor killing, but Sheila said: “We know what occurred, it was a gas leak. There have been talks across Facebook that are not true. My children are their sisters; we are all just very shocked and unfortunate. I don’t want to speak regarding it.”
Sheila’s oldest daughter, 42-year-old Roxanna flying out to Pakistan to help support Abdul and Zarina.
One of her neighbors in Tinsley, Sheffield, told: “Sheila’s daughter Roxanna said to us what had occurred. She said that Maria and Nadia had passed away, but it wasn’t clear how they died. We were all upset; we knew the girls. It’s terrible.”
An autopsy is due to happen, and local officials are probing the deaths.
A Foreign and Commonwealth Office representative replied: “We are in touch with the local officials following the death of two British women in Gujrat, Pakistan, and have given consular support to the family.”