5-year-old Noah Woods saved his family of eight from a house fire in Bartow County, Georgia.
5-year-old Georgia boy awoke to fires in the bedroom. But he didn’t hesitate, and his actions helped save his entire family.
Noah Woods is being named an honorary firefighter and will receive a rare lifesavers award for his heroics on Friday.
Noah was one of eight family members sleeping in their home in Bartow County, Georgia, on Sunday when he woke up to smoke and flames in the bedroom he shared with his 2-year-old sister.
He jumped out of bed, grabbed his sister and got out of the house through the only exit available, an open window.
But Noah didn’t take a pause there, he went back in to get the family dog and pulled it to safety. He then ran next door to his uncle’s house for help. Together, they alerted the rest of the family.
Everyone made it out safely.
Fire Department Recognition
Dwayne Jamison of Bartow County Fire Department said “We’ve seen children alert their families before, But for a 5-year-old to be alert enough to do this … that’s pretty extraordinary.”
Jamison stated the fire was started by an overloaded electrical outlet in Noah’s bedroom. When firefighters arrived, they treated Noah and four other family members for minor burns and smoke inhalation.
Due to the loss of the home, the family has asked the community for help while they get back on their feet.
The Bartow County Fire Department will recognize Noah on Friday as an honorary Bartow County firefighter and present him with a lifesaving award typically reserved for professional rescuers.